The Women’s Week Committee, The University of Utah Chapter of Utah Women in Higher Education Network (UWHEN), Presidential Commission on the Status of Women (PCSW), Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) request nominations for the 21st annual Linda K. Amos Award for Distinguished Service to Women. This award recognizes an individual staff or faculty member who has selflessly given time and energy to improve the educational and/or working environment for women at the university.
The nominee should represent the ideals and actions of Dr. Linda K. Amos, for whom the award was named. Amos was the founding chair of the Presidential Commission on the Status of Women, was a professor of nursing, and served for many years as Dean of the College of Nursing and as Associate Vice President for Health Sciences. Throughout her career, she was the champion for improving the status and experience of women on campus.
Nominations must be made by a member of the university community (faculty, staff, or student) and should include:
- A letter of nomination outlining the candidate's commitment to improving the educational and/or working environment for women at the University of Utah. Nominations should be focused on broad contributions and activities specific to the advancement of women at the University of Utah, rather than addressing women's working environment or educational opportunities nationally or within a single unit at the University.
Nominees for the Award will be considered in light of their cumulative, positive advancement of women at the University of Utah. Indicators of excellence may include one or more of the following:
- Improving the educational environment for women at the department, college, or university
- Improving the working environment for women at the department, college, or university
- Establishing policies to include and value women’s contributions
- Advancing equity and representation of women
- Creating opportunities for women
- Expanding the influence of women at the department, college, or university
- Brief CV, resume or biography of the candidate
- One or more additional letters from the university community supporting the candidate
Nominators are advised to inform the nominee of their nomination. Due to the pandemic, we did not solicit nominations in 2020 and 2021. Any previously nominated candidates must be nominated again and will be considered as new nominees.
The deadline for nominations is Friday, Jan. 21, 2022, at noon. Please submit nomination materials electronically here (https://utah.sjc1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_71cIs07WMmCOX8G).
|Leslie Pickering Francis, Distinguished Alfred C. Emery Professor of Law, S.J. Quinney College of Law. Distinguished Professor of Philosophy, Department of Philosophy|
|Pearl Sandick, Associate Professor and Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs, Department of Physics and Astronomy|
|Ruchi M. Watson, Managing Director, Goff Strategic Leadership Center|
|*Not awarded in 2020 or 2021 due to COVID pandemic|
|Yordanos "Jojo" Beyene, Senior Academic and Bridge Advisor, College of Health|
|Carolyn Leavitt-Bussian, Collections Manager of Paleontology, Natural History Museum of Utah|
|Harriet W. Hopf, Professor of Anesthesiology, School of Medicine|
|Kim Hackford-Peer, Associate Director, Gender Studies|
|Mary Anne Berzins, Assistant VP for Human Resources|
|Cynthia J. Burrows, Distinguished Professor and Chair, Department of Chemistry. Thatcher Presidential Endowed Chair of Biological Chemistry|
|2013||Joanne Yaffe, Ph.D., Associate Professor, College of Social Work, Adjunct Assoc. Professor, Psychiatry|
|Debra Willardson, Athletic Trainer|
|2012||Carrie L. Byington, M.D., H.A. and Edna Benning Presidential Professor of Pediatrics, Vice Chair Research Enterprise, Department of Pediatrics|
|2011||Susan Olson, Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs|
|2010||Debra Daniels, Director, University of Utah Women's Resource Center|
|2009||Leigh Neumayer, MD, Professor of General Surgery|
|2008||Kathleen Digre, MD, Professor of Neurology and Ophthalmology|
|2007||Kathy Brooks, former director of the Women's Resource Center|
|2006||Elizabeth Tashjian, Associate Professor of Finance|
|2005||Carol Sansone, Professor of Psychology|
|2004||M. Denise Dearing, Professor of Biology|
|2003||Kirtly Parker Jones, MD, Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology|
|2002||JoAnn Lighty, Professor of Chemical Engineering|
|2001||Victoria Judd, MD, Professor of Pediatrics|
|2000||Fern Gardner, University of Utah Women's Basketball Coach|
Linda K. Amos, Founding Chair of the Presidential Commission on the Status of Women, Former Associate Vice President of Health Sciences, Professor Emerita of Nursing, Dean Emerita of the College of Nursing